While scoliosis is most common in adolescence, degenerative disorders such as osteoporosis can cause it in older people as well. As the condition progresses, so do the health consequences associated with it. The good news is that our doctors offer extensive knowledge and procedures to provide scoliosis relief in St Petersburg. Call our office today and let us help you discover a treatment plan that's right for you that doesn’t require surgery or medication.
Pain relief is possible without drugs and surgery
We can help you! Call us to schedule a consultation
What is Scoliosis?
We have all heard of scoliosis, but it's not always clear what it is exactly. The spine is naturally shaped in what is known as an “S” curve. People with scoliosis have a side to side curvature that resembles a “C” shape.
When scoliosis is first discovered, it may be a small bend caused by a simple misalignment of a single vertebrae. If left untreated, over time, the body will build up musculature that will continue to curve that spine to ensure the head stays level. An abnormal curvature that measures over 10 degrees is considered scoliosis and between 20-40 degrees is referred to as a moderate form of the condition.
With the right treatment, scoliosis pain relief is possible. PRP (platelet-rich plasma) injections that use platelets in your own blood at a concentrated level to promote healing may be recommended.
Our doctors may also suggest using chiropractic care to offer an even more effective treatment plan for long-lasting relief. If chiropractic care is a course of action that is right for you, our doctor uses a two-phase system for scoliosis relief.
- Phase 1: Postural correction - alleviates pain, and discomfort using gentle electrical currents targeting the nerves in the back, increasing the flow of endorphins.
- Phase 2: chiropractic adjustment (manual spinal manipulation) help restore symmetry in the spinal column.
Follow-up treatments as maintenance with our therapists to perform corrective exercises may be recommended for a comprehensive scoliosis relief plan.
Scoliosis Causes and Symptoms
Scoliosis is a condition referred to due to an abnormal curvature in the spine and can cause extreme neck pain, shoulder pain, and back pain. The cause is often unknown. These cases are labeled as idiopathic; however, several other types of scoliosis do have known causes and symptoms.
- Paralytic Curvature - Due to a spinal cord injury, nerve receptors in the spine are blocked, causing dysfunction in stabilization.
- Congenital Curvature - Identified at birth and can be treated by chiropractic care in infancy.
- Myopathic Curvature - The spinal muscles do not work properly and are most often caused by cerebral palsy, polio, and muscular dystrophy.
If you are looking for a safe and non-invasive approach to scoliosis relief in St Petersburg, call us today at (727) 519-3757 to find out how our doctors can devise a customized treatment plan for you to get you back on your feet pain-free.